Schmertopia

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Alaska State Fair


Well, here it is again, the Alaska State Fair, one of my favorite things each year. These past few years we (as in the TBA Theatre gang) have been working at the fair. We MC a variety of events including Kids Day Games, Homesteader's Events, Scarecrow Building Contest and more! We produce a show in the Imagination Station that happens multiple times each day. Last year was Funky Farmworks and this year it's Fee Fi Farm Fun. We perform a Folk's Tales show (That's us on the stairs of the Colony Church). This year we perform all of Labor Day weekend. Friday - Monday at 5pm and a 7pm show on Saturday night. And we eat. At: Pork Chop on a Stick, Denali Cream Puffs, Corndog Corner...HUSKY BURGER! Just to name but a very few.

It's been absolutely amazing being at the fair on a daily basis. Because I never have to overeat to get all the things I want. It used to be I'd go on one day and try and cram all the activity and food into a few short hours. Now I have time to do different things on different days. And there are so many attractions at the fair I had never noticed before.

All in all it's a great time. And it reminds me of being a kid at my aunt and uncles. They lived right across the street from the Middlesex County Fair in New Jersey (my uncle still does). My cousin Hali and I would go over every day and ride rides, eat cotton candy and play the games on the midway until we had too much. Then we'd just run across the highway to home until we were ready for more adventure. They were the carefree days of youth, that's for certain.

So where ever you are, go to your state fair (or your county fair or whatever small fair, with dinky rides and good food and games with horrible odds at winning are located). Where it's too crowded, and too expensize and too noisy and too EVERYTHING. Just go. Have a Husky Burger (or whatever your local calls them). And remember what it was like when you were a kid and the fair grounds and the rides seemed huge. Remember what it was like to eat all the food you wanted without getting a stomach ache or if you did you just didn't care! Remember what it was like to have no responsibilities except meeting your parents at the designated time.
Go to your local fair. Have fun.

I'm going to mine.

1 Comments:

  • this is the best blog entry anywhere ever. It makes me feel just right.

    I love you so!!!!!

    some kinda lizard (maybe a skink but we just aren't sure)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 23, 2007 11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home